Monday, December 5, 2011

running.


December 4th, 2011 Summer and I successfully completed our first half-marathon. Underprepared as we both thought we were, we were pleasantly surprised by the outcome. So glad we ran! So glad she ran with me! I would do it again in a heartbeat! That being said...

Life lessons from running the White Rock Half:

1) There will be trials of many kinds. Endure. It's worth it. The weather was every bit as rainy as I feared it would be...not to mention super cold! As Ryan (Summer's awesome husband and our number 1 supporter) is our witness, Summer and I shivered constantly for a while after the race trying to warm up. As miserable as parts of the race were, it made crossing the finish line even sweeter. There is an end to every race. Give it your all until you cross the finish line, regardless of what life may throw your direction. (2 Timothy 4:7)


2) Keep a true friend close by whenever possible. It makes all the difference in the world. This weekend, that friend was Summer. I don't think either of us could have done this alone. When I would get an adrenaline rush and run way faster than I should early in the race, Summer would pace me. When I had to stop to adjust my ipod, Summer was right there with me. When I started to slow down because a slow song came on, she would pass me just enough to remind me to keep my pace. When we were terrified and giddy before the race, we laughed and sang the "I look good" song and settled our nerves. I can think of no other friend I'd rather cross that finish line with! (Proverbs 27:17)


3) Random acts of kindness do make a difference. To every person who came out to cheer on runners in the freezing rain, THANK YOU! When you cheered me on and told me good job, I took it to heart. It motivated me to run faster and harder. Every smile and high 5 made a difference, even though I will probably never see you again. (Galatians 6:10)


4) Push yourself. You've got more in you than you think. How many times have I stopped running after only a few miles because I didn't think I could keep going? This weekend proved: I've been stopping short. Do I do the same thing in my every day life? Running 6 miles isn't easy. It's kind of a challenge actually. Knowing that I can run 13, though, puts that 6 in perspective. How much more am I capable of accomplishing? Running: I'd be willing to bet I'll go for a full someday. Life: ...better get on that.


5) Surround yourself with people you hope to be more like. Summer and I deliberately ran toward the front of the pack of 16,000 people in the race because we knew they would run faster than we possibly could. Not blind to our abilities (we know we aren't elite runners), we wanted that to motivate us to run harder than we would if we were closer to the back. It helped immensely.

6) It's ok to be passed. Let that motivate you. As I said, we ran in the pack of people slightly faster than us....therefore, we were passed throughout the race. Furthermore, when the half-marathon and full-marathon courses merged around mile 11, we got passed by the first-place full-marathon runner. Rather than being discouraged, we cheered and chose to let that invigorate us. It worked.

7) If the guy with no arms or legs can do it, so can you. He passed us about 13 miles in. Again, we chose to let that inspire us for the last tenth of a mile. Exhausted, our eyes got big and Summer and I turned to each other, smiled, and sped up just a little bit.

8) The reward is great. (Dominos cheesy bread. Village Burger Bar sweet potato fries. 44oz of diet coke. Yogurtland yogurt with toppings. No guilt eating any of it.)


9) Some people look better in spandex than others. After 13.1 miles behind people of all shapes and sizes, it needs to be said. (google search)

10) You're only young once. Live well.



No comments:

Post a Comment