Monday, November 7, 2011

thanksgiving7: my students.


Last week I told my students about a girl [Chelsea] who loved Thanksgiving SOO much, she renamed November "Thanksgiving Awareness Month."

"What?" "But it's called November." "That's pretty funny." "I want to do that." ~various responses from my children.

We then created our own calendar. For simplicity's sake, I still titled it November, but no question they understood our focus for the day: thanks-giving. Each student said what they are thankful for and I wrote each statement on their own day. The students (1st and 2nd graders) were then allowed to personalize their day of thanks on the calendar. Lest you be confused (as every student was...), the calendar only reflects days that we are actually at school until Thanksgiving Day.

So, today, in honor of Thanksgiving Awareness Month, I am thankful for my students and their eyes of gratitude. Here is what they are thankful for:
  • for my dog Duke because he always comes with me when I'm scared
  • for my cat because she scares away the other cats and makes me feel safe
  • that I get to learn every day
  • for Texas because it's a great state and I was born there
  • for my Papa because he takes me to see my dad and he's a really nice man
  • for having a dad that cares about me
  • for the army because they help keep us safe
  • because I have lots of friends and people to play with
  • for having a sister who always helps me do my best and pass 2nd grade
  • for my brother and sister because they help me remember when I forget things
  • for friends and family all around me because I know its a gift that I have them
  • for an aunt that will let me go swimming and come over to her house
  • for having a dad that's always got my back
  • for having a ferret even though it bites my feet sometimes
  • that I get to go to the park and play after school
  • for my uncle because he lets me go on a bike
  • for my teachers because they help me do fun things every day
  • for my mother and that she gives me food each day
  • for my grandma because she brings me candy sometimes
  • that my family is nice to me because they always love me even if I make bad choices
  • for my daddy because he gives me a bath and makes sure I'm taken care of

1 comment:

  1. "for Texas because it's a great state and I was born there" Is Jimbo in your class?

    ReplyDelete