Saturday, November 12, 2011

thanksgiving12: softball.



I may take some heat for this next post [ahem... haters: Angie and Susan]. However, today, my gratitude on this particular subject outweighs the risk of being mocked.

Today, I'd like to declare my thankfulness for recreational softball.

There. I said it.

Softball.

I randomly joined a team through Watermark Church this fall. I don't go to Watermark, but visited this August a few times and heard the announcements for the league. It sounded like fun, so I signed up.

Little did I know, I would come home to tell my roommates what I had done. They laughed pretty hard, googled ways to show you are straight while on a softball team (something about hair ribbons), and let the jokes flow...for the last 8 weeks. It didn't help my case that all of the games were on Friday nights, whenever they'd try to convince me to do something fun.

But you know what? It was FUN. It was worth it. I'm so glad I played!

Yes, we lost several of our games. Yes, it took me til the last game to remember everybody's name. Yes, I had to miss several games (because, let's be real, Friday IS a hard night to have games on). Yes, a few were rained out.

The games we played, though, were always fun. And as tradition became, they were always followed by shakes/burgers at Twisted Root.

Last night, by some miracle, we made the playoffs. Won the first game, lost the second. I hit a homerun. (Technically, I hit a single, which was overthrown so I took off to 2nd, got pegged in the shoulder with the ball, so I kept running all the way home and SCORED!!! Homerun and memorable bruise...)

Anyway, it was fun. It was something different. I made new friends. I stand by my decision to play recreational softball. No regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment