Sunday, November 6, 2011

idolatry.


I'm working through Tim Keller's book study "The Gospel in Life". Today I spent some time getting [gently] punched in the gut by section 3's study on idolatry. As I read and tried to honestly answer questions, I couldn't deny what an idolatrous heart I have. On my own, I am powerless to change. I am praying God would help me change! Here's a quick summary of the study and a reminder to myself to focus my heart on Christ alone.

Idolatry replaces God as the most important person/thing in my life with something inferior Romans 1:23-25 "they exchanged the glory of the immortal God...and worshipped and served created things rather than the Creator."

GUILTY.

Idols in and of themselves are nothing. They are powerless to fill emptiness and fulfill desire, yet they are draining us of strength and enabling spiritual blindness.

Whatever controls us is our Lord [~Rebecca Pippert].

Idols are enslaving. I know this firsthand. Idols convinces us that we won't be content without them, that life won't be full, and purpose will be lost without them. They divert our attention from Jesus Christ and making great His name.

An idol can be anything that leads us to disobey God: 'a physical object, a property, a person, an activity, a role, an institution, a hope, an image, an idea, a pleasure, a hero. [Richard Keyes].'

Keller presented a list of idolatrous statements to be aware of. Here are a few that resonated with me and showed me the types of idolatry I battle:
  • Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...people are dependent on me and need me (Helping idolatry)

  • Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I am loved and respected by ________ (Approval idolatry)

  • Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...Mr. or Mrs. Right is in love with me. (Relationship idolatry)

  • Life only has meaning/I only have worth if...I have a particular kind of look (Image idolatry).

Keller's list on pages 43-44 is much more extensive and I definitely recommend reading it to help identify other forms of idolatry.

Keller also notes that if you seek approval (affirmation, love, relationships), your greatest nightmare is rejection. People around you often feel smothered. Your emotional problem: cowardice.

Whoa. Hold up. That hits a little too close for comfort.

So where do I go from here?

Keller's advice:
  • Name the idols [These are the things I have built my life around]

  • Repent of the idols [This cannot love me and help me as You can. It is not my life.]

  • Rejoice in Christ [You have said there is no condemnation for me now (Romans 8:1). You delight and sing over me (Zeph. 3:14-17). Let me be satisfied with your love.]
I know this is harder than it seems. It is a daily process. Lord, let this conviction seep into my heart and motivate change. May I take You at Your word and believe You to be the fulfillment in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment