Friday, November 18, 2011

thanksgiving18: that God lets me keep asking.


I'm like a little kid sometimes. I ask. (No response). I ask. (No response). I ask again.

The Lord could easily shut me up and say He's frustrated with me. Instead, though, He gives us examples all through the Bible of people who don't stop asking. He seems pleased by that. I'm so glad. 

Sometimes it's all I know to do, really: talk to Him, ask. 
Sometimes I wait for that resounding no. 
Sometimes I worry that He's probably said no a hundred times & means it, & maybe I just can't hear it. But I keep asking anyway, hoping for the yes & hoping I won't offend Him. 
I'm glad He hasn't said stop. 
He continually shows me that He is patient & that He likes when His kids talk to Him, 
even if our perspective is short-sighted.
I'm glad He says 'Come.'
I'm glad He is near.


Luke 18: The Parable of the Persistent Widow

 1 Then Jesus told his disciples a parable to show them that they should always pray and not give up. 2 He said: “In a certain town there was a judge who neither feared God nor cared what people thought. 3 And there was a widow in that town who kept coming to him with the plea, ‘Grant me justice against my adversary.’
   4 “For some time he refused. But finally he said to himself, ‘Even though I don’t fear God or care what people think, 5 yet because this widow keeps bothering me, I will see that she gets justice, so that she won’t eventually come and attack me!’”
 6 And the Lord said, “Listen to what the unjust judge says. 7 And will not God bring about justice for his chosen ones, who cry out to him day and night? Will he keep putting them off? 8I tell you, he will see that they get justice, and quickly. However, when the Son of Man comes, will he find faith on the earth?”

No comments:

Post a Comment